Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tummy Yummy Tuesday! (Grilling Edition)

got a new TYT pic :)
Wow it's been forever since I have done one of these posts!

So its summer time and what do you think about during this wonderful season?  Grilling out!  Everyone loves cooking some yummy foods one the grill.  This post is all about a yummy meal you can cook all on the grill.

I was flipping through Food Network magazine and I came across a recipe that look oh so yummy, and I just had to make it!!  What is it?  Chicken Skewers with Grilled Romaine!!  Doesnt that just sound good!!


Chicken Skewers with Grilled Romaine

Ingredients:
1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 Teaspoons red wine vinegar, plus more for drizzling
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (i used about 1 tablespoon dried oregano because i couldnt find fresh)
1 Tablespoon minced shallot or red onion (i dont like onion so i sliced it and used a little less, just enough for the flavor.  i also used the red onion instead because it was cheaper)
1 Teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 Head romaine lettuce, quartered lengthwise (i cut this into halves, since it was only Justin and I, we just had a big salad)
1 1/2 Pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into chunks (since there was 2 of us, i used just enough chicken for Justin and I)
1 1/2 Cups breadcrumbs (i just used enough breadcrumbs to coat the chicken)
1/4 Cups grated parmesan cheese (i just used this to taste)

1. Go ahead and start your grill, if you have a gas grill set it to Medium High, if not then go ahead and light your charcoal.  Go ahead and soak your skewers also, I soaked more than I thought I would need just to be on the safe side.  While your grill is heating, and your skewers are soaking, go ahead and start making the dressing.  Mix the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, shallot/red onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.  At this point I separated a tablespoon or so (give or take) for the lettuce.  The recipe calls for you to go ahead and drizzle it on the romaine, but I wanted to get everything prepped before I did that, and you need the rest of the dressing for the chicken.  So set aside enough to drizzle on the romaine, just do it to your taste, but make sure to leave plenty to coat the chicken.  
2.  Add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining dressing and toss.  Add the breadcrumbs and toss to coat.  Thread the chicken onto the skewers, leaving space between each piece.
3.  Grill the chicken skewers, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8-10 mins.  Meanwhile, grill the romaine, turning once, until marked and slightly wilted, 1-2 mins.  I waited til the chicken was almost done to put this on the grill so they finished around the same time.  Transfer the romaine to plates and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.  Season with salt, I recommend tasting it first before you do this.  I didnt taste first, and mine was a bit salty.  Serve with the chicken skewers and sprinkle with the parmesan.  

In edition to this we also had grilled garlic bread, and grilled marinated pineapple.  We bought the bread that was already covered in the garlic spread at Walmart, you may also choose to buy the bread and the spread separate.  The spread is in their fresh bread section...its oh so yummy.  Or you can save some money and effort and buy there garlic bread that already has it on it...up to you lol.  Also you may want to try Texas Toast, found in the freezer section.  Either are amazing grilled!!

And for the pineapple!

Grilled Balsamic Marinated Pineapple

Ingredients:
Pineapple
Balsamic Vinegar
Honey
Crushed Red Pepper

I came up for my own recipe for this one, and I am proud to say it was a success!!  I used fresh pineapple, the canned just doesnt hold up to the grill that well, but feel free to use whatever you would like.  I cut my pineapple into rings, feel free to cut it into chunks and put it on skewers.  As for the marinade (and I eyeballed it so this recipe may not be exact)...I mixed maybe 3 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, and a few dashes of the crushed red pepper (you can do more of less to taste, but you also dont want it to overpower the other ingredients.)  Mix em all up and you're ready to go!

I waited til the chicken is almost done to throw this on the grill.  Then with a pastry brush I brushed the marinade all over the pineapple on both sides, of course doing the side you put down on the grill first.  I just got some nice grill marks on them and took them off, you dont need to cook them to death lol.  Also the same with the bread.

I hope you really enjoy this recipe as much as I did.  Justin was in ah about how good it was, he couldnt get over the salad of all things.  When he tried the chicken, he said "that marinade is banggin!!"  Yay I was so happy!!  If you want something totally different, and super yummy you must try this!  Let me know if you do, I would love to hear your opinions about it :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me hungry! Lol. New follower - http://www.sempersweetheart.com.

    - Tee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love yall! <3