Welcome (finally lol) to my first edition of Tummy Yummy Tuesday, well an actual post devoted to the recipe and not other things also. Lets talk Easter food! I love any holiday where I can stuff my belly full of yummy home cooked foods. When I think of Easter I think of different types of food...but my recipe for today is...drum roll please...Mac and Cheese!
Ok this isnt any regular mac and cheese from a box, and it isnt the kind you mix the eggs and all that and bake and it has the cheese on the top. Nope its not like that, my mac and cheese is really creamy and oh so yummy! Now Justin and I love spicy food, so my mac and cheese has a bite to it...but if you dont like spicy food you can adapt it to fit your taste.
Ingredients:
1 box of pasta, I like to use the spiral noodles
1 block of pepper jack cheese
1 block of jalapeno cheese
1 block of colby jack cheese
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
milk
crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
Ok so to begin cook your pasta like you would usually. Once it is done drain it and set to the side. While your pasta is cooking you can use that time to grate the cheese, or even do it before hand. A little tip when you grate the cheese, put the blocks in the freezer for a few mins to let it firm up, which makes it easier to grate. Once done set it to the side. Next up mixing the rue. I use the pot that I boiled the pasta in because its big and allows lots of room to work, put the temperature just before the med mark (you wont need the pot screaming hot and you may even want to use it on a lower temp). Combine the equal part or butter and flour. Mix together until combined and and it should be a thick paste. Next slowly pour in milk, the amount will vary. Start with a little at a time (maybe a cup at a time), remember you can always add more, but if you start out with to much then its hard to correct. Mix milk with the flour/butter mixture, keep mixing until it starts to thicken a bit and there are no to little lumps. Now is time to add in the cheese. I save some of it to add to the top later, so dont put all of it in. Stir the cheese in with the milk mixture until its all melted, you may want to add more milk if it seems to thick. When it is done it should be a creamy cheese sauce, not runny...thick and creamy. Now it time for some flavorings lol. Add salt and pepper, and the crushed red pepper to taste. Then add in the pasta, stir until every lovely noodle is covered with the cheesy goodness. Pour the noodles into a casserole dish and add the remaining cheese on the top. I also like to sprinkle the top with more red pepper flakes just so you know its spicy. Put it in the over on broil just until the cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!
If you dont like spicy food feel free to choose different types of cheeses. I have found it taste way better when you grate the cheese yourself, rather than buying it already shredded...but thats your choice of which you would prefer. I have also used the cheese sauce and made homemade cheeseburger mac for Justin and he loved it! This sauce is very basic, but you can put it on anything!
If you give this recipe a try please let me know what you thought of it! :)
I've been wanting to try a mac-n-cheese recipe forever, but I'm scared it will taste yucky. LOL All the ones I find for my crock pot get mixed reviews.
ReplyDeletei promise mine is soo good, you wont be disappointed lol :)
ReplyDelete