Monday, October 10, 2011

My DIY Project

Do you remember this post I posted awhile back about my nightstand?  Remember how I was going to post about it over 2 months ago?  Yeah sorry it has taken me so long, it totally slipped my mind.  Also I was wanting to do some sort of cute table decor on it, but I never got around to it.  I promise once I get settled into the new house and I get some decor for it I will post an updated pic.  Until then I will post about my journey to my nightstand that I am so proud of!

First of all this entire project was free...yeah you read that right free...F-R-E-E!  My dad found this old end table in an apartment where he works.  Some people had left it and once they turn in their keys what is left is fair game.  Its going to be thrown out anyways so why not?  This is an end table technically, you can see in these pics that it has a hole for a lamp cord on the top, and a magazine holder underneath.
 Before
Def wanted to get ride of the magazine holder

 When I started I knew I wanted to paint it white and give it the worn out/aged look.  But I didnt want to leave the magazine holder.  My dad was so awesome and I told him what I wanted to do, and he helped make it come true.  I am not one to use any sort of saw...so I def wanted his help for this lol.  So with his help we cut out one side of the bars around the magazine holder because I wanted to make some sort of drawer on it.  He was also nice and cut a piece of wood to fit the top of the magazine holder to close in my drawer.

When I began the process I actually sanded the whole thing down really well, which allow the paint to stick to the table.  Then my dad cut the posts out of it.  Up next wipe all the saw dust and stuff from sanding and then spray on the primer, we used white spray primer which was very handy instead of painting it on.  Im not sure the brand we used...every bit of what was used is something we had at the house or he had at work.  After the primer we cut and attached the shelf part that goes on top of the drawer.
Magazine holder gone, shelf/top of drawer attached, and primer applied

Next step is painting it.  I did a decent coat...not to thin, but not super thick.  I was nice using the white primer so I actually only had to add one coat of paint!  Score!  The last step, and my favorite part was adding the distressed look.  I took a rougher sand paper than I had used to sand it originally, and started to sand in random places to give it the look I wanted.  So places I sanded all the way down to where you see the wood underneath, others I did lighter so it just looks a little worn.  I am so happy how it came out!
 All painted up and ready to distress!
 Copper wanted to help lol
 All done!
These pics arent the best quality, but you can kinda tell what it looks like

No my pics arent glamorous, and I am still trying to find one or two baskets that will fit in the hole for the drawer, but I love it and I am so proud of my first project.  I will def post pics once I get the table decorated how I want it...still up in the air on if I want candles, or a vase with flowers, or pictures....ahhh so many ideas lol.

Table: $0
Paint/Primer $0
Sandpaper $0
Plywood $0
That's my kinda of project lol

I hope you have a wonderful day, and I cant wait to have more DIY projects to share!  There is one on Pinterest I have my eye on lol :)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, great job! Yay for pinterest ideas lol, love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! I love it! :) :) You did an amazing job. I see all of these crafty things on everyones' blogs and I am SO jelous! I'm crafty-challenged. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love yall! <3