Tuesday, October 11, 2011

RIP Cpl Smith

Sometimes we take for granted how our men being "home" on American soil...how they are safe.  Today I found the reality that anything can happen.  I got on Facebook earlier and had a message from one of Justin's old platoon mates wanting Justin to call him asap.  I replied and told him that Justin is in the field until Friday.  Then I see other guys from his old platoon talking about their brother is with God now...stuff like that.  So I message one of the wives who's husband is still stationed in Va to find out what happened.
This is the response:

Bravo Marines went on their usual PT run this morning on base.  There was a Navy person driving on one of the roads that was the same route as their run.  He bent down to get his phone while driving and ended up swerving or something and went through the group of Marines.  One Marine died from the hit and a few were badly injured.  One of them possibly broke his arm and the others face is completely messed up with stitches now and stuff.  My husband was on his way back from his run when he saw the fire trucks leaving towards the accident.

It is so scary how one wrong move caused injuries and one lost his life.  My heart goes out to this family, I cant imagine what his wife is going through right now.  Even more scary to think that Justin was there a couple months ago...that could have been him!  I dont even want to think about that.  I dont know this Marine personally or even his wife, but it breaks my heart.  In the Military community when one is hurting, we all hurt.

Please remember those who were injured and Cpl Chad Smith's family and friends in your prayers.

4 comments:

  1. That just makes my heart sink. One for the man who's life can never be the same because he took his eyes off the road for a moment. And then obviously more so for that poor man and his family who died because of something so stupid and thoughtless. :( So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how horrible. It is scary, sometimes when the guys are home we almost forget things can happen here too... it is like a fake safety net. It is a "If he isn't deployed he is safe" mentality, and it is jarring when it is untrue. I will keep Cpl Smith and his family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so terrible :( We had a similar incident on base out here, a work accident happened & a Marine died. It's all just too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This broke my heart! I will definitley keep them all in my prayers :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love yall! <3