Thursday, September 1, 2011

Guest Blogger #4: a Creed and a Psalm

So today once again I have a special guest blogger while I am enjoying time with my Marine in Florida.  This lovely lady is from another one of my favorite blogs a Creed and a Psalm.  Like me she is living this crazy Military life that most people wouldnt understand.  I am so thankful to have such amazing women in my life who understand what I am going through and I can talk to about things.  I love her post and I hope yall do also.  Be sure to stop by and leave her some love!




Hello! My name is AM, and I am a brand spankin’ new Air Force wife stationed with my husband at our first PCS in Florida, where he is going through Navigator training. Since this is my first time being a guest blogger for anyone, I have spent the past few days feverishly wondering what in the world I could write about that wouldn’t be the most boring thing you people have ever had to suffer through in your lives. I still hadn’t thought of anything when today I received some amazing news: I had passed my NCLEX exam yesterday morning and received my Registered Nurse license number for the state of Florida – something that I had definitely only dreamed about (and when I did dream about it, it often involved something ridiculous and terrifying like forgetting how to get to the test center or forgetting to wear shoes).

But because of today’s exciting events, I realized that I had my material right here! I am about to embark on the daunting task of being a military spouse searching for a job in a military town. It’s terrifying to think about. What do I say when they look at my hometown in Georgia, my college in Alabama, and my current address here in Florida and ask me the inevitable question of “Why in the world are you here??” Do you play it safe and lie and roll with a good one-liner-that-doesn’t-really-need-further-explanation, like, “Oh, well, my husband and I just really love the beach, so we moved here!” (which of course will look pretty funny in a year when you show up with a resignation letter citing military orders) or do you broach that GASP unthinkable reality of “My husband is in the military and we are stationed here” ? Because then, you know the very next thing out of an employer’s mouth will be, “How long are you going to be in town?” And there goes the interview right down the crapper.

I know that businesses “can’t” discriminate because of being married to the military, but I know it happens, and more often than we would like to admit. So, has anyone ever experienced a similar situation? And if so, how did you respond? Is being a military wife really as much of a curse in the job market as it’s cracked up to be, or does a charming personality trump the fact that you may only be sticking around for the short haul? Come over and share your thoughts and experiences with me at a Creed and a Psalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love yall! <3