I bet your thinking..."Stephanie what in the world does your title mean?" Lol. Well of course you know I will explain. Have any of you watched the tv show on TLC "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?" Well I have been watching it...it hasnt been coming on for to long, but I have watched every episode so far.
What is a Gypsy?
Well dictionary.com defines a Gypsy are this:
"a member of a people scattered throughout Europe and NorthAmerica, who maintain a nomadic way of life in industrialized societies"
They are nomads. They live in mobile homes, and isolate themselves from the common society. They believe that woman should stay at home and raise the kids, and take care of the home...so the men are the one who have the jobs and provided for the family. The woman cant go anywhere without the husbands permission, but he can do as he pleases. Most Gypsy girls get married at a young age. The ones they have shown on the show have been around 16-22 years old. When they marry they settle down in their own mobile home. Gypsies (also known as "Travelers") only believe you should marry other travelers, so their traditions will be upheld and their culture doesnt die off.
Enough with the background info lol. Well if you havent seen the show...their weddings are very over the top! The brides wear very over the top dresses, even the kids wear over the top dresses for their first communion...and there are like 6 year old girls. The weddings are very extravagant. Ok this brings me to one of the points of this post...how on earth do people who live in campers, and only the man provided for the family, most are not very educated, how do they pay for this? This mind boggles me. I would love to know where they get the money for this. And trust me, these girls are wearing customized dresses, and everyone is dressed to the nine. Oh and the other traveler girls who attend the wedding uses this event as a way to meet there match. They go out and buy several hundred dollar dress to wear to it. Once again I state...how on earth do they afford it? If you ever watch this show, keep that in mind during. I bet im not the only one thinking about this lol.
My second point of this post is how it seems that Military Spouses are similar to Gypsies. No, not in every way...but think about it. A lot of Mil Spouses dont have jobs, they stay home and take care of the house and the kids. The Hubby provides for the family. They dont have a permanent home. For those Gypsies who marry out of their community, their spouses have to adapt to their new lifestyle...just like the Mil Spouses. Most Mil Spouses arent brought up in the Military community so they have to adapt to their new lifestyle, and their new customs and ways of life.
Call me crazy, but I was literally sitting here thinking about the show and all of this just popped in my head, and I thot it might make for a good blog post. I would love to hear your opinions about the show, for those who have seen it, and also about what I have talked about in this post. I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend!

















Haha, I just watched this show for the first time and loved it! Of course, I love anything wedding-related. But I was seriously fascinated by their lifestyle! And when I heard them being called "travelers," I was like... hey, so are we! ;-)
ReplyDeleteI only got to see part of an episode today, but it was interesting and I do agree that we are travelers...and have similarities to an extent.
ReplyDeleteyeah I wanna know how they afford it too!
I have to watch that show....they look like giant cupcakes! LOL
ReplyDelete