Thursday, August 29, 2013

Good Ol Southern Recipe

I told you in previous posts about a recipe I was excited to try last Sunday.  Well let me say I highly recommend you try it.  It was absolutely amazing!!  Louisiana Cajun Shrimp with chipotle dipping sauce, and Cheese Grits and Hushpuppies on the side...YUMMY!!
I found the recipe on Pinterest, pinned from another blog (click here to visit).  

Spicy Louisiana Cajun Shrimp with Chipotle
Serves 6-8 as an appetizer

1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tail shell intact
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning - homemade or store bought
1/2 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped

1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 lemon or lime, sliced in wedges for garnish
Salt and pepper, for seasoning


In a large bowl, toss together the shrimp with the olive oil, Cajun seasoning, brown sugar and chopped chipotles in adobo sauce, and mix well to fully coat the shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.

Baking: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread out the marinated shrimp onto a foil-lined baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until the shrimp curl up and turn pink, about 10-15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with a garnish of lemon or lime wedges.

Grilling: Preheat an outdoor grill to medium and barbecue shrimp until they curl up and turn pink.

Sautéeing: Preheat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add about 1/2 tablespoon of oil, and once hot add the shrimp, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook about 2 minutes per side.

Chipotle Mayonnaise
Makes about 1 cup

1 cup mayonnaise
3 canned chipotles in adobo sauce
1 tbsp adobo sauce
1/2 lime, juice

Add all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to use.

I followed the recipes as directed, but I did let the shrimp marinade for a few hours before we threw them on the grill.  Oh and if you use the grill, dont forget to soak your skewers for a few hours so they dont burn, if you are using the wooden ones of course.  Also I did add the other half of the lime that I didnt use in the dipping sauce on the shrimp.  I love lime, and I thought it gave it a nice tanginess!

As for the side items, I had a hard time trying to figure out what I wanted to go with the shrimp, then I decided to keep it simple.  For the huspuppies I bought the mix in the grocery store and followed the directions.  I love the House of Autry, they also have great breading mix for chicken, fish, pork, ect.  The cheese grits I buy the bag of Quaker Oats instant grits, cook as directed on the side.  Then to finish I just add cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and butter to taste....and a little milk if they look a little thick.  Simple and delicious!

Please let me know if you try this recipe and how you liked it!  

Tomorrow is our fun adventure, I cant wait.  I plan on taking my camera and talking lots of pics.  I'm so excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love yall! <3